Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Best Exercise Motivators
Sometimes, no matter how much we enjoy exercise, it takes a little extra motivation to get out the door. Here are the best motivating tips I've found and used throughout the years:
Plan to go for only 10 minutes-once you start, it's usually very easy to keep going but even if not, 10 minutes is better than nothing.
Have a treat lined up for when you're done-examples include dark chocolate, protein smoothies, or lavender foot baths.
Destination exercising-it's a lot more fun and motivating to run with an end in mind (like Starbucks) than to run with no end in sight (this can also be used with the last tip!).
Music-create a specific exercise playlist for your iPod and only listen to it while exercising. Changing it up every week helps too.
Recruit a friend-exercising with friends keeps you accountable, and it's always more fun to have a friend to suffer, I mean sweat with.
Cute workout clothes and gear-I don't care what anyone says: it's always more fun and motivating to exercise in cute clothes than it is in grubby clothes. I have a running shorts obsession, but gear and gadgets work well for most people.
Do exercises you enjoy-this is very important! If you hate to run, you're not going to stick with it, but if you find a zumba class that tickles your fancy, you will be more motivated and more likely to stick to exercising.
Keep an exercise log-I keep a running log and I love seeing the miles total get bigger and bigger.
Read-books, magazines, blogs, etc are all good at motivating and giving you tips and techniques to try out.
Change it up-if you run, run a different route. If you go to the gym, try a new machine. Variety is the spice of life and will keep your workouts fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment